Workplace Health and Safety


TLIC3004 Drive heavy rigid vehicle

HR Truck

Requirements for taking a HR Class driving test. A person must have held either a:

  • Car (C class) licence for at least 2 years
  • Light Rigid (LR class) heavy vehicle licence for at least 1 year
  • Medium Rigid (MR class) heavy vehicle licence for at least 1 year

    NOTE: You must obtain a HR Learners Permit prior to assessment. 

There are three classes of Heavy Rigid – divided by gearbox type. 

  • Synchromesh
  • Non-Synchromesh (Road Ranger)
  • Automatic

Open Class Heavy Rigid (HR)
The Open Class licence is completed using a truck with a “Road Ranger” gearbox. You will learn the skills required to use crash gearbox and double de-clutch on all gear changes.

The “Road Ranger” gearbox is standard on trucks from the USA and some larger Japanese trucks. The open class licence allows you to drive all Heavy Rigid Trucks.

Synchromesh Heavy Rigid (HR-B) 
These trucks still have many gears, but they are much easier to change than a “Road Ranger” Gearbox. Most European Heavy Rigid Trucks are equipped with a synchromesh gearbox.
The Synchromesh is a restricted licence meaning you can only drive trucks with a synchromesh gearbox as well as automatic transmissions.

This license does not allow you to drive a truck fitted with a Road Ranger gearbox.

Automatic Heavy Rigid (HR-A) (Auto truck to be supplied by client)
The Automatic Heavy Rigid licence is a truck fitted with an Automatic gearbox and drives like an automatic car.
This license restricts you to Heavy Rigid Trucks fitted with automatic transmissions only.

We do not currently offer this license unless you supply the truck.


Please read the following 5 Step process to gaining your HR License! 

Or download the instructions here: Truck Licensing Page